Please don't tell me you know how I feel



Please don't tell me you know how I feel,


Unless you have lost your child too.


Please don't tell me my broken heart will heal,


Because that is just not true.


Please don't tell me my son is in a better place,


Though it is true, I want him here with me.


Don't tell me someday I'll hear his voice, see his face,


Beyond today, I cannot see.


Don't tell me to face the fact he is gone,


Because denial is something I cannot stop.


Don't tell me to be thankful for the time that I had,


Because I wanted more.


Don't tell me when I am my old self you will be glad,


I'll never be as I was before.


What you can tell me is that you will be here for me.


That you will listen when I talk of my child.


You can share with me precious memories,


You can even cry with me a while.


And please don't hesitate to say his name,


Because it is seething I long to hear every day.


Friend, please realise that I can never be the same,


But if you stand by me,


You may like the new reason I become someday.






(C) Judi Walker (in memory of Shane) 1998

up